Garage doors are an essential part of your home’s security and convenience. They protect your vehicles and other valuables from theft and harsh weather conditions. However, like any other mechanical equipment, garage doors can develop problems over time. Here are five common garage door problems and how to fix them.
- Door won’t open or close: The most common garage door problem is when it won’t open or close. The issue may be as simple as a dead battery in the remote or keypad. If that’s not the issue, check the power source to make sure the opener is plugged in. If you have power, the safety sensors may be the culprit. These sensors are located near the bottom of the door on both sides and must be aligned for the door to operate. If they are out of alignment, the door won’t open or close.
- Door is noisy: Garage doors can be noisy, especially when they get older. If you hear grinding, squeaking, or rattling sounds, it’s a sign that some parts of your door need lubrication. Lubricate the moving parts of the door, such as the hinges, rollers, and springs. Loose hardware or worn rollers can also cause noise. Tighten any loose bolts or screws and replace worn rollers to reduce noise.
- Door is off track: If your garage door is off track, it’s a dangerous situation and requires the expertise of a professional garage door repair technician. Attempting to fix the problem yourself could cause further damage or injury. An off-track door may be due to a broken cable or a damaged track. These issues require professional attention to repair.
- Door won’t stay open: If your garage door won’t stay open, it may be due to worn or damaged springs. Over time, springs can lose tension, causing the door to close unexpectedly. Have a professional inspect and replace the springs if necessary. Other causes of a door that won’t stay open include a damaged hinge or a malfunctioning garage door opener. A professional garage door technician can diagnose and fix the problem.
- Door closes too quickly: If your garage door closes too quickly, it may be due to the tension settings on the opener. Adjusting these settings requires expertise and should only be done by a professional garage door technician. A door that closes too quickly can be dangerous and cause injury or damage. A professional technician can inspect and adjust the tension settings to ensure the door operates safely.
Garage door problems can be frustrating, but they can be fixed with the right expertise. If you encounter any of these common garage door problems, follow the steps outlined here or contact a professional garage door technician. Remember, your garage door is an important part of your home’s security and convenience, and it’s important to keep it in good working condition.
American Garage Door and Repair